Admission to the BHI Graduate Program is growing increasingly competitive. Successful applicants will have shown distinction in their areas of expertise and demonstrate significant promise for excellence in the field of biomedical and health informatics. We do not require an undergraduate degree from a specific list of fields, and students from a range of academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply if they meet the requirements listed below:
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an institution within the United States OR an equivalent degree from a recognized college or university from outside the United States.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale), for the last 90 graded quarter credits or 60 graded semester credits.
- Prior formal college-level coursework, verified by transcripts, in:
- advanced mathematics (calculus and above OR statistics)
- computer programming (at least two courses), and
- biology (or zoology)
- GRE scores (or GMAT, MCAT, or DAT scores) are required unless the applicant holds an earned doctorate (such as PhD, DDS, MD, EdD, JD) from an accredited U.S. institution. Those applicants are excluded from GRE test requirements. The GRE scores must be from testing within the past 5 years. Applicants accepted to our program generally have GRE scores of at least 150 verbal, 156 quantitative, and 4 on writing. GRE scores are required for all international applicants, including holders of foreign doctorates (such as PhD, DDS, MD, EdD, JD).
- A test of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS) is also required for all international applicants, unless they have an earned bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom.
For the TOEFL, a minimum score of 600 (paper-based), 100 (internet-based), or 250 (computer-based) is required to be exempt from Academic English Program (AEP) requirements, and the scores must be from a test taken within the past 2 years. IELTS scores are not accepted.
Please see the Graduate School’s full details about English proficiency requirements, including all exemptions. Questions regarding this requirement may be directed to the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.685.2630.