Linda Shapiro, PhD
Professor, Computer Science and Engineering
Adjunct Professor, Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education
Joint Professor, Electrical Engineering
Research in a) object and pattern recognition, b) facial expression recognition c) medical imaging including cancer biopsy analysis, and d) biomedical information systems.
50 yrs computer science with funded research in all kinds of object and pattern recognition including medical work in craniofacial analysis, medical image analysis, and multimedia retrieval.
Currently accepting new MS students and new PhD students only if they have their own funding.
- S. Nofallah, B. Li, M. Mokhtari W. Wu, S. Knezevich, C. J. May, O. H. Chang, J. G.
Elmore, L. G. Shapiro, “Improving the Diagnosis of Skin Biopsies using Tissue Segmentation,”
Diagnositics, Vol. 12, 2022.
- F. Ghezloo, P. Wang, K. F. Kerr, T. T burnye, T. Drew, O. H. Chang, L. Reisch, L. G.
Shapiro, J. G. Elmore, “An Analysis of Pathologists’ Viewing Processes as They Diagnose
Whole Slide Digital Images,” Journal of Pathology Informatcs, 2022.
- S. Mehta, X. Lu, D. Weaver, J.G. Elmore, H. Hajishirzi, L. G. Shapiro, “HaTNet: An Endto-
End Holistic Attention Network for Diagnosis of Breast Biopsy Images, Medical Image
- S. Nofallah, M. Mokhtari, W. Wu, S. Hehta S. Knezevich, C. J. May, O. H. Chang, A. C.
Lee, J. G. Elmore, L. G. Shapiro, “Segmenting Skin Biopsy Images with Coarse and Sparse
Annotations using U-Net,” Journal of Digital Imaging, 2021.
- W. Wu, S. Mehta, S. Nofallah, S. Knezevich, C. J. May, O. H. Chang, J. G. Elmore, L.
G. Shapiro, “Scale-Aware Transformers for Diagnosing Melanocytic Lesions,” IEEE Access,
- S. Nofallah, S. Mehta, E. Mercan, S. Knezevitch, C. May, D.Weaver, D.Witten, J. G. Elmore,
L. Shapiro, “Machine Learning Techniques for Mitoses Classification,” Computerized Medical
Imaging and Graphics, Vol. 87, 2021.
- W. Wu, B. Li, E. Mercan, S. Mehta, J. Bartlett, D. L. Weaver, J. G. Elmore, L. G. Shapiro,
“MLCD: A Unified Software Package for Cancer Diagnosis,”, Journal of Clinical Oncology:
Clinical Cancer informatics, March 2020.
- E. Mercan, S. Mehta, J. Bartlett, L. G. Shapiro, D.L. Weaver, J. G. Elmore, “Machine
Learning of Breast Pathology Structures for Automated Differentiation of Breast Cancer and
High-Risk Proliferative Lesisions,” JAMA Network Open, August 2019.