Current BHI students may access all important policies, procedures, and other resources at https://catalyst.uw.edu/workspace/bhiprgm/48302/.
- HIPAA training: Institutional policies require all members of the UW Medicine workforce (including students and trainees) to be educated about privacy, confidentiality, and security of protected health information. All members of UW Medicine’s workforce need to be trained by attending Medical Center General Orientation or completing the HIPAA Online Training. BHI students are required to complete training prior to enrollment. In addition, the the UW Medicine Privacy, Confidentiality and Information Security Agreement form must be signed.
- Human Subjects Training:
- Per BHI policy, all students (MS, PhD, and postdocs) must take Human Subjects training prior to enrollment. This training is required for most of our research grants, and is often required for PhD research. Students should take Basic Human Subjects Course for the Biomedical & Social/Behavioral learner group. Instructions are available at the UW Human Subjects Division website.
- Per Graduate School policy, students and chairs of all newly formed thesis/dissertation committees must sign a form documenting that the student has been advised of human and animal subjects guidelines PRIOR to forming a thesis or dissertation committee. The Use of Human and Animal Subjects Form must be signed regardless of whether the actual work involves human or animal subjects. This form should be submitted to the department when the committee is formed.
- Asbestos General Awareness Training: All new students must complete this training prior to enrollment.
- Other Trainings
- Prevention of Sexual Harassment Training: All UW employees, including academic student employees (NLM trainees, research and teaching assistants) are required to complete this training.
- Biomedical Research Integrity Training: This training is required for all NIH training grant funded trainees. Completing and documenting this training is a federal requirement for continuation of funding. For other students, participation in the series is strongly encouraged. Details for the BRI Program including how to subscribe to the BRI listserv can be found on the BRI program website. Trainees are required to participate in the BRI training once for each year of their appointment.