Mark Whipple, MD, MS, FACS
Associate Professor, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
Associate Professor, Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education
Chief of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, Harborview Medical Center
Head, Big Sky College, University of Washington School of Medicine
Developing predictive models of head and neck tumor metastasis from sparse data sources using formal anatomic knowledge representations. Genomics of head and neck tumors (squamous cell carcinoma, infantile hemangiomas, lymphatic malformations).
Dr. Whipple received his BS degree in Biological Sciences from Stanford University and his MD degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine. He completed his residency training in Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery at the University of Illinois and his MS degree in Medical Informatics from the Harvard-MIT program. He practices Otolaryngology-Head & Neck surgery and serves as the chief of service at Harborview Medical Center. He served as co-director of the Biocommons Computing Center. Dr. Whipple has been a faculty member of the UW School of Medicine Colleges since their inception and has served as the Head of Big Sky College since 2009. His past research activities have included developing algorithms for analysis of genomic data of head and neck cancer.
Developing predictive models of head and neck tumor metastasis from sparse data sources using formal anatomic knowledge representations. Genomics of head and neck tumors (squamous cell carcinoma, infantile hemangiomas, lymphatic malformations.)
- Kalet IJ, Whipple M, Pessah S, Barker J, Austin-Seymour MM, Shapiro LG. A rule based model for local and regional tumor spread. Proc AMIA Symp. 2002: 360-4.
- Kuo WP, Mendez E, Chen C, Whipple ME, Farwell DG, Agoff N, Park PJ. Functional relationship between gene pairs in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Proc AMIA Symp. 2003; 371-5.
- Whipple ME, Mendez E, Farwell DG, Chen C. A log likelihood predictor for genomic classification of oral cancer using principal component analysis for feature selection. MedInfo 2004;2004: 823-8.
- Benson N, Whipple M, Kalet IJ. A markov model approach to predicting regional tumor spread in the lymphatic system of the head and neck. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2006:31-5.
- Mendez E, Fan W, Choi P, Agoff SN, Whipple M, Farwell DG, Futran N, Weymuller EA, Zhao LP, Chen C. Tumor-specific genetic expression profiles of metastatic oral squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2007 Sep;29(9):803-14.
- Hasina R, Whipple ME, Martin LE, Kuo WP, Ohno-Machado L, Lingen MW. Angiogenic heterogeneity in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: biological and therapeutic implications. Lab Invest. 2008 Apr;88(4):342-53.
- Kalet IJ, Mejino JL, Wang, V, Whipple M, Brinkley JF. Content-specific auditing of a large scale anatomy ontology. J Biomed Inform. 2009 Jun;42(3):540-9.