Linda Shapiro, PhD
Professor, Computer Science and Engineering
Adjunct Professor, Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education
Joint Professor, Electrical Engineering
Funded research in a) object and pattern recognition b) medical imaging c) multimedia information retrieval for medical applications d) biomedical informatics information systems e) craniofacial image analysis
42 yrs computer science. Funded research: a) object and pattern recognition; b) cancer biopsy analysis; c) multimedia information retrieval for medical applications; d) biomedical informatics information systems; e) craniofacial image analysis
Currently accepting new MS students and new PhD students only if they have their own funding.
- J. Wu, C. Helke, C. Birgfeld K. Evans, M. Maga, C. Morrison, B. Saltzman, L. Shapiro, R. Tse. “Measuring Symmetry in Children with Unrepaired Cleft Lip: Defining a Standard for the Three-Dimensional Mid-facial Reference Plane”, The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 2016.
E. Mercan, S. Aksoy, L. G. Shapiro, D. L. Weaver, T.T. Brunye, J. G. Elmore, “Localization of Diagnostically Relevant Regions of Interest in Whole Slide Images: A Comparative Study”, J. Digit Imaging, March, 2016.
- E. Mercan, I. Atmosukarto, J. Wu, S. Liang, L.G. Shapiro, “Craniofacial Image Analysis”, in Comprehensive Health Monitoring and Personalized Feedback using Multimedia Data, A. Briassourli and J. Benois-Pineau (Ed.), Springer International, 2015.
- E. Mercan, L. G. Shapiro, S. M. Weinberg, and S.-I. Lee, “The Use of Pseudo-Landmarks for Craniofacial Analysis: A Comparative Study with L1-Regularized Logistic Regression,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual Conference, July, 2013.
- S. Liang, J. Wu, S. M. Weingberg, L. G. Shapiro, “Improved Detection of Landmarks on 3D Human Face Data,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual Conference, July, 2013.
- S. M. Rolfe, E. D. Camci, E. Mercan, L. G. Shapiro, and T. C. Cox, “A New Tool for Quantifying and Characterizing Asymmetry in Bilaterally Paired Structures,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual Conference, July, 2013.
- I Atmosukarto and L. G. Shapiro, “3D Object Retrieval Using Salient Views,” International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval , online July, 2012, in hardcopy Vol. 2, No. 2, 2013, pp. 103-115, PMCID: PMC3702181.
- S. Yang, L. Shapiro, M. Cunningham, M. Speltz, C. Birgfeld, I. Atmosukarto, S.-I. Lee, “Skull Retrieval for Craniosynostosis Using Sparse Logistic Regression Models,” Proceedings of the MICCAI Workshop on Medical Content Based Retrieval for Clinical Decision Support, Springer, 2012. Winner of theBest Paper Award.