Patrick O’Carroll, MD, MPH
Epidemiology, informatics, and public health systems development
Dr. O’Carroll has worked in epidemiology and public health systems development for more than three decades, and in public health informatics from its inception in the early 1990s. He is currently Head of the Health Systems Strengthen Sector at the Task Force for Global Health, where he oversees a global network of epidemiology training programs as well as the Public Health Informatics Institute. Before that, Dr. O’Carroll served for 31 years in the U.S. Public Health Service, retiring in Oct 2016 as a Rear Admiral and Assistant Surgeon General.
- DeSalvo KB, O’Carroll PW, Koo D, Auerbach JM, Monroe JA. Public Health 3.0: Time for an Upgrade. American Journal of Public Health 2016;106(4):621-622.
- O’Carroll PW, Yasnoff WA, Ward E, Ripp L, Martin E. Public Health Informatics and Information Systems. New York: Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. 2002; 790 pp.
- O’Carroll PW, Yasnoff WA. Development of curriculum and competencies for public health informatics. In: Proceedings of the Health and Medical Informatics Education Working Group Meeting (April 23-25 2003) of the International Association of Medical Informatics (IMIA): Teach Globally, Learn Locally: Innovations in Health and Biomedical Informatics Education in the 21st Century. Available on CD-ROM, www.imia.org
- O’Carroll PW, Halverson P, Baker EL. The Health Alert Network in action Northwest Public Health Spring/Summer 2002;14-15.
- Yasnoff WA, O’Carroll PW, Koo D, Linkins RW, Kilbourne E. Public Health Informatics: Improving and transforming public health in the information age. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 2000;6(6):67-75.
- O’Carroll PW, Yasnoff WA, Wilhoite W. Public Health Informatics: a CDC course for public health program managers. Proceedings of the 1998 AMIA Annual Fall Symposium (formerly SCAMC); 1998;472-476.