Wanda Pratt, PhD, FACMI
Consumer health informatics, information retrieval, human computer interaction, design of information technology, patient-provider communication, and user studies
Developed medical expert systems for NASA, led a team of people representing common sense knowledge for the Cyc Project Education – PhD in Medical Informatics from Stanford University, and MS in Computer Science from the University of Texas.
Wanda Pratt’s research is motivated by the problems patients face in finding, using, and managing information. Her research includes studying patient’s work to understand their problems, developing new types of technology to address those problems, and evaluating the technology with patients. She is also interested in using technology to improve patient-physician communication and collaboration.
Currently accepting new PhD students. Not accepting MS students at this time.
- Klasnja P, Hartzler A, Powell C, Phan G, Pratt W. HealthWeaver Mobile Designing a Mobile Tool for Managing Personal Health Information during Cancer Care. Proceedings of the American Medical Informatics Association Fall symposium (AMIA ’10). Nov 2010, Washington DC.
- Unruh KT, Skeels M, Civan-Hartzler A, Pratt W. Transforming Clinic Environments into Informatin Workspaces for Patients. http://faculty.washington.edu/wpratt/Publications/pap1428-UnruhCamera.pdf Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’10). April 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- Skeels M, Unruh KT, Powell C, Pratt W. Catalyzing Social Support for Breast Cancer Patients http://faculty.washington.edu/wpratt/Publications/pap1135-Skeels.pdf Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CH ’10). April 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- Unruh K, Pratt W. Patients as actors: The patient’s role in detecting, preventing, and recovering from medical errors. http://faculty.washington.edu/wpratt/Publications/unruh-pratt-IJMI.pdf International Journal of Medical Informatics 2005;v76:236-244.
- Pratt W, Unruh K, Civen A, Skeels M. Managing health information in your life http://faculty.washington.edu/wpratt/Publications/CACMp51-pratt.pdf Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (CACM) 2006;49(1):51-55.
- Patel R, Hartzler A, Czerwinski M, Pratt W, Back A, Roseway A. Visual Feedback on Nonverbal Communication: A Design Exploration with Healthcare Professionals. 7th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth 2013). Venice, Italy.
- Klasnja P, Pratt W. (2012) Healthcare in the Pocket: Mapping the Space of Mobile-Phone Health Interventions. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2012;45(1):184–198.